Metal Suppliers on the Web
(Thanks to Rockingham Armor Plate
& Roc Rat for the links)

Link to Online Metals
Link to Wicks
The image at left is an example of what is known in the military as an "expedient mount".
You have to appreciate the resourcefulness. We do not all have a metal shop in our back yard.
Click on thumbnail images to enlarge.

This is where home builder's work is showcased. If you have built, or are building an M2, please
E-mail me photos so we can see your work and maybe get some fabrication ideas.

Chris
Here is a fine creation from Poland. Chris is now working on a 1919 to sit on it.
Phaze2
Here's a beauty. Check out the fit & finish in the enlarges detail below, right.
Phaze2's tips:
I made the cleats out of cardboard first then used them as templates. I guess you can do that with the head also. The head I made by folding the edges over and welding a bottom plate on. I used (the) measurements on the head and added about an 1 3/4 inches extra to fold over the sides so it's just 2 pieces.
glock35ipsch
There is some really fine work being done out there. It just goes to show that the 1919 community will not be denied - we will have our M2s. Beautiful work on the head. I love the brass pintle socket.
Here's another tripod by Glock35ipsch. Nice attention to the details. Top notch.
After Parkerizing. Take to time to enlarge these photos and check out the detail and finish. Very impressive.
ARTY6PD
The finished product sitting next to a vintage M2

Now this is proof it can be done! Looks like a dead on copy to me.

Crandall said the head was the most difficult because there are several compound angles to make the top and bottom plate come together at the right angle.


Capt. Zorro

Underside of head and pintle latch

Left traversing sleeve

Traversing sleeve latch

Folded - top view

Folded - bottom view
Zorro's Tips:

I used 12 ga. sheet metal for my base, made the top and bent it. Then filled in the sides and cut the bottom to fit inside. I simplified the pintle because I don't have a taper attachment for my lathe.

The pipe is 1/2" schedule 40 ''black pipe, or gas pipe'' it's used to plumb natural gas in a structure. The id is 5/8" the 0.D. is 7/8" which is close to the size of the original tripod legs. You should be able to find it at a plumbing supply if your local hardware doesn't have it. It's usually cheap. I think I got 20' for around $10.00. The exterior is a little rough but you can sand it down or turn the rough off if you have a lathe.

I made my pads by cutting 12 GA. sheet metal out with a hole saw and the ''scoops'' for them by cutting angle pieces off a piece of tubing. (2 3/4" O.D. - Jon)

Sheltie
Sheltie's M2 is a beauty!

Sheltie's M2 before Pintle
and bushing were made.
I used a 1 1/8" hitch pin on the right and 2 quick hitch bushings from a tractor supply store. The bushing on the left is what it looked like once it was cut down. In this photo the top flange was only cut down to 1/4". I later cut it down to only 1/8" thick as 1/4" was too thick.

The bushing installed


I cut the hitch pin in half and then cut out a 3" disc out of 1/4" thick plate I then added the ears and cut a groove in the hitch pin with a grinding whee
l.


The latch was the hardest part for me as I couldn't get a single piece of steel bent the way I wanted it. I ended up cobbling the latch together from several small pieces of steel. It doesn't look too good but it seems to function OK.

The finished product.
Sheltie's Tips:

The tripod head top plate was built out of a single sheet of steel and bent accordingly. The sides are six seperate pieces welded together and then ground smooth. The bottom plate is actually two seperate pieces. One plate for the flat part and another for the angled section in the rear. The reason I did this was because I did not think I could duplicate exactly the bend of the top plate. By making two seperate flat plates all I had to do was get them the same shape as the top and then weld them in place...no bending.

The leg latch was made by cutting out a section of 1/4 inch thick steel. The plans call for it to be 3/16" wide but by making it 1/4" wide I could cut out whatever shape I needed. I also drilled a 1/8" hole through it and inserted a 1/8" thick rod through the latch and then welded it on top and ground it smooth and this would serve to hold the spring in place.

The feet.....well I had intended to use Zorro's hole saw trick to cut the feet out of steel plate. When I went to get some metal the shop was selling metal discs in their scrap pile for a buck apiece. They just happened to be the right diameter too! So I used those. Well the next time I went to the shop they had those same discs setting in the stainless steel pile. So it looks as though they are stainless steel and I don't think stainless can be parkerized....another mistake but I'll deal with it. I also used the angled pipe section for the claws on the feet. Another of Zorro's ideas that worked out great. Except the measurements on the drawings called for 1 3/4" pipe to be used which didn't look right so I used 3" pipe which looked right but in fact may be too big. (should have been 2 3/4" - I have corrected it on the plans. -Jon)

BACK TO TOP